It's already legal over here!!
In the spirit of our gun control thread which had some really interesting discussion. I thought I'd bring up another somewhat controversial subject.
Should it be legal?
On the legalization side:
On the keep it illegal side:
- an argument can be made that alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than marijuana many, many times over yet those 2 are legal.
- Legalizing would reduce the prison population of people who were caught with relatively small amounts of marijuana
- It would help cancer patients as well as people suffering from chronic pain and stress
- If it were legalized you could grow the hell out of it, tax the hell out of it and bring more cash into the legal economy
- There are those that believe that marijuana is a gateway drug that would lead to much harder and more dangerous drugs
- If you legalize it, will it lead to legalization of those harder drugs?
- Some feel that if it is legalized it will lead to more kids using it.
What are your thoughts? Legalize it or not?
legalize ALL drugs (rx included). there is no constitutional basis for preventing people from willfully putting a substance into their body. a victimless crime is not a crime.
but, ZERO tax dollars should be used for rehab, "anti-drug" campaigns, etc. and "it is a disease" is not an excuse for breaking into someone's house. with liberty comes responsibility.
I never have smoked weed and don't have any desire to (even if legalized).
So while I don't really have a dog in the fight, I would prefer to simply legalize it and let the free market dictate how it is used, priced, etc. Especially considering it is a naturally occurring substance and not artificially produced.
As far as I can remember, a lot of drug outlawing, from opium to marijuana, over the years has been governmental plans to prevent certain minority groups from growing in size.
As a PH, yes legalize it
John Wall, C.J. Leslie, & Quincy Miller